MEDICAL CONSCIENCE RIGHTS INITIATIVE
Protecting Religious Freedom in Healthcare
The Medical Conscience Rights Initiative (MCRI) is a joint effort launched in 2020 by the Religious Freedom Institute (RFI), Alliance Defending Freedom, and Christ Medicus Foundation to promote legislation on the state-level to protect America’s healthcare providers from mandates to perform voluntary procedures in violation of their conscience (e.g., abortion, physician assisted suicide, gender transition surgery, etc.).
MCRI involves a multi-level strategy, including:
- Print and digital media campaigns
- Education resources
- Grassroots coalition building in select states
- Direct professional and legal advocacy with state legislators
- Hearing testimony provided by coalition partners
Medical conscience rights are rooted in:
- Human Dignity
- The purpose of medicine to administer life-affirming care
- The medical practitioner's oath to Do No Harm
- First Amendment protections of religious conscience and free exercise
A key aspect of MCRI is model legislation that can serve as the foundation for state legislators seeking to take action in this area. Three states — Arkansas, Ohio, and South Carolina— have enacted versions of this model legislation. Similar efforts are ongoing in multiple other states.
To learn more, contact RFI by phone: 202-838-7734 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.